Fireman electrocuted as fire razes homes in Clairwood [WATCH]

539

A fireman was electrocuted at the scene of a blaze that broke out in Clairwood South of Durban that razed the homes of dozens of people living in shacks in the Sidar Road informal settlement on Thursday night.null

Emer-G-Med paramedics spokesperson, Kyle van Reenen, said paramedics had responded to Sidar Road in Clairwood, south of Durban after Ethekwini Fire and Rescue Services were called to the scene to fight major shack fires that had broken out. 

“A member of the eThekwini Fire and Rescue Services who was fighting the fires suffered an electrocution injury from illegal connections in the area. Emer-G-Med paramedics attended to the man on the scene and he later refused further hospital care,” he said.

Van Reenen said that no other injuries had been reported at the scene of the blaze, although a team of paramedics had remained on standby to assist residents in case they needed medical attention. 

Watch the fire here