Horrific video shows moment swimmer ‘eaten by shark’ at Sydney beach

262555

WARNING: Graphic

A video has captured the horrific moment a swimmer was killed by a shark at a popular Sydney beach.

The city was rocked by its first fatal shark attack in almost 60 years after the attack at Little Bay on Wednesday.

Human remains were found by rescuers about 6pm, almost an hour-and-a-half after a fisherman first reported a person in the water had been attacked and dragged under by a shark.

Terrifying video footage showed the moment the shark struck.

“Someone just got eaten by a shark,” the man recording the video can be heard yelling, adding it was a “big great white”.

Huge splashes can be seen with the water in the area turning red and birds circling above.

“That’s insane,” the man added, filming from a rock ledge where people were fishing.

Another woman yelled “oh my god … what the f***?” in disbelief.

“The person is still there,” the man then added.

Dozens of people were swimming and paddle boarding at Little Bay Beach at the time of the attack.

It is the first fatality from a shark attack in Sydney since 1963.

Randwick Mayor Dylan Parker said the community was in shock.

“To lose someone to a shark attack like this is chilling. We are all in shock,” he said.

“Our entire community’s hearts go out to the family of the victim.”

Police will liaise with the Department of Primary Industry to investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of the swimmer.

A report will be prepared for the Coroner.